Saturday, January 26, 2008


Loved Ones......

We call them "Loved Ones" because we love them and they love us. It is a relationship based on love. We may not agree on much except that we love one another and that seems to me the principle thing.

I do not know much about building wooden structures but if you are going to build with brick you have to have a good, solid, level foundation. That foundation was given to us by God in Jesus Christ when God, because of the great love with which He loved us, send His only Son to die in our place so that an avenue to a personal relationship with God may be opened. That is why Jesus' only command was that we should love.

Yesterday a man passed on to Glory suddenly. He was not a great theologian - most of his doctrine was slanted and tainted - but he loved. He was an old coot who earned the nickname "Grizz" because he could be a bear - but he loved. He was not very rich or successful in business, we smiled at his schemes and ideas - but he loved. He was ornery and gave up on organized religion years ago but he learned to love.

I called him PapaDoc. He called me Kiekie. I am going to miss him sooo very much. Not because he was larger than life or had a huge part to play in my day to day life. Not because we were related by blood. Most people who know me, did not even know of his existence. No, I'm gonna miss him because he loved me and I loved him.

Why do we place so much emphasis on the point beside the point? Can't we see that God is love and those who live in love, lives in God. I don't care much about doctrine, because soon enough, when we see Him who knows everything, doctrine will pass away. Haven't we divided enough because of methodology or doctrines? We think in our arrogance and pride that we have it all together, yet neglect this one thing: Love God with all your heart and love one another as He loves us.

My heart grieves today as I remember PapaDoc. I wish I could have one more visit with him. Just one last e-mail or phone call. Just one more time hearing him say: Fhurekte Khaibe.
But all I have is those that are left behind... the loved ones.



No comments: